You Have Questions, We Have Answers

It is a difficult time when a loved one passes away. We help our families deal with that every day.

Here are general answers to some of the most common questions we receive.

If you have other questions, please call us at (253) 572-9555, and we’ll be happy to help.

Social Security

Yes. The Social Security Administration calls these “Survivors Benefits”, and information about them can be found at

Information about how to apply for Survivors Benefits can be found at the Social Security Administration website at

Yes. Scott Funeral Home notifies the Social Security Administration that your loved one has passed as a part of our services to the surviving family members. We will need the deceased person’s Social Security number in order to do so.

In order to get specific answers about current Social Security benefits , you should contact the Social Security Administration directly, by visiting their website at, or by phone at (800) 772-1213. They can answer specific questions from 7 am to 7 pm, Monday thru Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing you may call the TTY number at 1-800-325-0778.

A complete list of Social Security Administration automated information services and contact numbers can be found at

No. There are no benefits available from Social Security for final arrangements.

Veterans Administration (VA)

Yes, we help with the Veterans Administration whenever our families have lost someone who served in the military. Scott Funeral Home works with the Veterans Administration to help schedule services at Tahoma National Cemetery and to complete requests for military honors.

We also assist with completing documents for reimbursement for service-related deaths.

Please let us know if your loved one might be eligible for Veterans Administration benefits.

The local Tacoma Veterans Administration is located at 4916 Center Street, Suite E. Their phone number is (253) 565-7038.

Complete information about the Tacoma Vet Center can be found at

For other information about the Veterans Administration, please visit

Before you contact the Veterans Administration, we recommend you collect the following documents and have them available for reference:

  1. Veterans Discharge certificate or the DD214
  2. Veterans VA claim number or Social Security number
  3. The veteran’s death certificate
  4. Government life insurance policy
  5. A copy of all marriage certificates and divorce decrees
  6. A copy of each child’s birth certificates or adoption orders
  7. Veteran’s birth certificate to determine parent’s benefits

The Tahoma National Cemetery is located at 18600 SE 240th Street, in Kent, Washington. The phone number is (425) 413-9614, and you can visit them on the internet at